For more than 60 years CONFINTEA (the International Conference on Adult Education) has been recognized as the most influential space in the international arena of adult education.
These conferences held every 12 years under the auspices of UNESCO, are the main forum for debate and definition of the broad guidelines and global policies of adult education for the period between one conference and the next.
The last conference, CONFINTEA VI, was held in the city Belem, Brazil, in December 2009. With the participation of over 1,000 Member States and hundreds of representatives of civil society. The Belem Framework for Action (BFA) was adopted there. Based on the Hamburg Declaration and Agenda for the Future of 1997, the BFA records the commitments of Member States and presents a strategic guide for the global development of literacy and adult education from the perspective of lifelong learning.
Next year, 2017, the international midterm review of CONFINTEA VI will be held under the auspices of the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL). ICAE with its members and the global community of education will promote a strong presence of civil society to provide critical analyses, evaluations, and our own perspectives of progress and setbacks.
We must also take this opportunity to position youth and adult learning and education in relation to the Sustainable Development Agenda and the SDGs, and find ways to articulate the fulfilment of the Belem Framework for Action and the Education 2030 Framework for Action adopted in November 2015 under UNESCO Conference.
As part of this process, ICAE invites you to follow the new section on CONFINTEA VI +6 on our website, where we will be sharing news, articles and key information on the preparatory process of CONFINTEA at national, regional international.
- Hacia la CONFINTEA VI: Consulta sobre la EPJA
- Preparando el terreno para CONFINTEA VI + 6 (4) Malú Valenzuela
- Preparando el terreno para CONFINTEA VI+6 (3) Francisco Cabrera Romero
- Paving the way to Confintea VI +6 (2) Camilla Croso
- Hacia la CONFINTEA VI: CLADE Consulta
- Paving the way to Confintea VI +6 (1) Shermaine Barret
- Enhancing Lifelong Learning Opportunities for Youth and Adults in the Caribbean: Sub-Regional Meeting for the Follow-up of CONFINTEA VI in the Caribbean.
- CONFINTEA VI Sub-Regional Follow-up Meeting for the Caribbean “Enhancing Lifelong Learning Opportunities for Youth and Adults in the Caribbean”
- Brasilia Report by Carmen Campero, ICAE's Vice‐president for Latin America
- Informe de Brasilia realizado por Carmen Campero, Vicepresidenta de ICAE para América Latina
- Overview: Consultation with Civil Society on the document Rethinking Education: Towards a global common good? By Claudia Pioli, Argentina and Kamil Gerónimo, Puerto Rico. April 25, 2016
- Abertura da CONFINTEA Brasil+6
- CONFINTEA+6: International seminar in Brazil evaluates ALE developments in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Seminário Internacional de Educação ao Longo da Vida e Balanço Intermediário da VI CONFINTEA no Brasil. Coletânea de textos.
CONFINTEA Brasil + 6. Tema central e oficinas temáticas
- Interview with Katarina Popovic, ICAE Secretary General, during the meeting of the CONFINTEA BRAZIL + 6 Working Group in Porto Alegre, january 2016 within the framework of the self-organized activities of the World Social Forum
- The Regional Meeting of Experts to follow up Confintea VI By Seham Negm, ICAE Regional Vicepresident for the Arab Region