“Rethinking Education – Towards a global common good?” (2015) was published at a particular historical juncture when the international education and development community moved towards the global framework of Sustainable Development Goals for 2030. While reaffirming a humanistic vision of education and development, Rethinking Education identifies issues likely to affect the purpose of education and the organization of learning in a world of increasing complexity, uncertainty and contradiction. The aim of the publication is to encourage public debate among education stakeholders by contextualizing these issues in particular regional, national and/or local settings with a view to ideating alternatives to the challenges faced by education in particular areas, like that of adult and youth education.
At the same time, the new global development agenda, and in particular SDG 4 “Ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning opportunities for all’, requires broad and flexible lifelong learning opportunities to be provided to all age groups, including adults, in order to complement and supplement formal education and to strengthen the link between formal and non-formal education.
ICAE and UNESCO are partnering to create regional spaces for consultation and discussion of the Rethinking Education with civil society organizations and networks, and other actors working in the field of youth and adult education in order to:
- Reflect on the regional challenges of youth and adult education in the current world, and
- Share strategies, programs and practices that ensure an inclusive, equitable and quality education; as well as lifelong and life-wide learning opportunities for all.
- EUROPE Region /Consultation on "Rethinking Education: Towards a Global Common Good?"
October 11, 2016.
Plenary: 10:00 - 12:00 / European Parliament
Workshop: 14:00-16:00 / MUNDO J
- Regional Civil Society Consultation on Adult Learning and Education in the Arab Region
Rethinking education: Towards a global common good?
October 1st, 2016. Time: 10:00 to 15:00
Place: Venue Hall. Landmark Amman Hotel
Al Shareef Hussein St. Amman, Jordan
- Overview: Consultation with Civil Society on the document Rethinking Education: Towards a global common good? By Claudia Pioli, Argentina and Kamil Gerónimo, Puerto Rico. April 25, 2016
- Comments by Rosa Maria Torres about "Rethinking education" and adult education. Texto en Español